I’ve been craving shrimp a lot recently after having an amazing shrimp burrito from Pedro’s in San Clemente, CA. So I was thinking, what are my favorite ways to have shrimp? Don’t worry I won’t go full Forrest Gump on you here, and these are in no particular order:
- Fried Shrimp
- Shrimp Cocktail
- Shrimp Burritos
- Shrimp Tacos
It seemed obvious that I needed to combine these things. Right? Right. Ok.
- To cover fried shrimp AND tacos, I used ground corn tortillas as bread crumbs like I did here.
- To cover the “cocktail” aspect, I made a tangy jalapeño-horseradish crema and added some diced tomatoes at the end
- Then I put it all in a burrito.
COVERED FOUR BASES IN THREE STEPS, THAT’S CALLED EFFICIENCY.
Now, I know you don’t usually think about horseradish with Mexican food, but I promise you it actually works extremely well with the jalapeños we’re going to blend them with, and the sour cream gives it a texture sort of like creamy prepared horseradish. Now, onto the show!
Ingredients (makes 4-6 burritos depending on how you fill them)
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 c flour
- 3 eggs beaten with 1 T water
- 6 corn tortillas
- oil for frying
- 3 jalapeños
- 1 piece fresh horseradish
- 1 small bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1 lime
- 1 cup sour cream
Apple & Celery Root Slaw
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 small celery root
- 1 lemon
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 t worcestershire sauce
- Refried beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Large flour tortillas
- Shredded queso quesadille
- Crumbled queso cotija
- Make the refried beans (can omit extra fat from recipe).
- Combine jalapeños, horseradish, and cilantro in food processor and blend. Stir in lime juice and then fold into the sour cream. Season with salt to taste, and set aside.
- Dice tomatoes
- Shred and crumble cheese
- Heat enough oil in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven for the breaded shrimp to float, about 350F is the goal
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper
- Grind tortillas in food processor
- Dredge shrimp in flour, egg wash, then tortilla crumbs
- Fry shrimp a few at a time until golden brown
- Build your burrito, and enjoy!